Druckansicht der Internetadresse:

International Office

Print page
Grafik_Studium im außereuropäischen Ausland_EN

Study visit to a non-European country

Global Programme

With regard to non-European countries, there are many partnerships and cooperation agreements with universities in North, South, and Central America, as well as Africa, Asia, and Australia. Students have the opportunity to attend lectures as a visiting student for one or two semesters. Many partner universities offer exchange students at least a reduction in tuition fees or even full tuition waiver. Fee reductions always refer to tuition fees only. Among other things, administrative fees may have to be paid. Further details can be found on the homepage of the host university.

General tips and tricks for studying abroad can be found in the DAAD brochure.

Partner universities for student exchangeHide

Under the following link you can find the University of Bayreuth’s partner institutions along with personal reports.

Here you will also find an overview of the possibilities of stay by faculty and an overview of the semester periods abroad. In addition to the MoveON Publisher, these are intended to support you in choosing the right institution.

  • You are enrolled as a regular student at the University of Bayreuth.
    Exchange students are not eligible to participate in the Erasmus+ programme.
  • There is a contract between the University of Bayreuth and the host institution.
  • You have already earned at least 20 ECTS points (the BA is sufficient for MA students).

Please note that the above points are requirements of the International Office. Your department may have defined further admission requirements.

Language requirementsHide

In order to guarantee that students can follow lectures at the partner universities, we expect the following language skills at the time of application or nomination at the partner university:

By taking the free DAAD test, which is offered twice a year by the UBT Language Centre, you can obtain a corresponding language certificate. Further information on the DAAD test and the registration periods can be found on the website of the Language Centre.

The successful completion of language courses at the appropriate level is also sufficient proof of language proficiency.

Please note: An Abitur certificate is not sufficient proof of language level.

Application and selection processHide

1. Please apply using the appropriate application form and submit the printed application as a PDF file from MoveOn and the letter of motivation to the International Office in due time:
ZUV, Room 1.81, attn. Maria Frisch / Sabine Paez

2. The Presidential Advisory Board for International Affairs at the University of Bayreuth decides on the selection of applicants.


3. The International Office will offer you a place at a partner institution. You decide whether to accept the offer.

4. UBT’s nomination for study at the partner university is only a suggestion and requires the final approval of the partner university. Please note that UBT nominations may be rejected by the partner institution at any time for various reasons.

5. Please apply to the partner university in due form and time.


6. Once you have received the Letter of Acceptance from the partner university, you can start planning your stay. Please note the information on general safety precautions in your host country.

If you apply but do not receive a place in the first round, you can apply for remaining study places in the second round. Apply again for the remaining places in the second round (only applicants of the 1st round).

Further rounds of remaining study places will follow for new and previously unsuccessful applicants.

You can find a more detailed description of the application process under the tab "General application process"

Certificate of Advanced Intercultural AwarenessHide

We offer all participants in the exchange programme the opportunity to acquire a Certificate of Advanced Intercultural Awareness. There are many ways to ensure that future generations of students can start their semester abroad with the best possible information.

In order to receive the certificate, the following must be completed:

  • Feedback interview in the International Office directly after returning from abroad
  • Participation in the International Day (WS) or Homecoming Event (SS)

In addition, one of the following must be completed:

  • Nomination discussion with new participants / country tables
  • Giving a presentation at one of the information sessions
  • Posting to the International Office’s Instagram or Facebook pages.
  • Intercultural training (before the stay; dates are expected to be announced in spring 2020)

If you have any questions on this topic, please do not hesitate to contact the Outgoing Team:



As a rule, the contracts with the partner institutions mean that tuition fees at the universities are waived. Among other things, administrative fees may have to be paid. Further details can be found on the homepage of the host university.

Some universities offer a reduced Study Abroad Option, which reduces tuition fees.

Information on additional financing options can be found under the "Financing tab.

Important documents for your study visitHide

Information materials

Document templates

Please note:
If you need an English translation of your Transcript or Degree Certificate, please use our template to complete the translation yourself to the best of your ability. Submit the original and the translation to our translator Daniel Mook for review (ZUV, Room 0.11.4).

Transferring credits for courses completed abroadHide

The International Office is not responsible for the transfer of credits you earn while you are abroad. The procedure differs from study programme to study programme. Usually you go to your programme coordinator, or to the specific professor.

If you receive support from Promos, you must always complete a Learning Agreement. You will have to complete at least 20 ECTS points (or the equivalent) at the host institution. In principle, it is advisable to take on the same level of coursework at the host institution as local students.

Short visits - Summer / Winter SchoolsHide

Summer / Winter Schools offer you the opportunity to gain experience abroad during a short stay at a foreign university. The application, organization, and financing of the stay is the student’s own responsibility. They are not included in the Erasmus+ programme. An overview of the most important facts about short stays can be found in the DAAD brochure.

Summer / Winter Schools usually take place during the semester break, allowing them to be easily integrated into the general course of studies. ECTS points can often also be earned during Summer / Winter Schools.

In our 'Current Information' section we publish current offers for Summer Schools, Winter Schools and language stays abroad.

Reading about the experiences other students have had can help you make your own decision about where to spend your time abroad. Here you can find the Personal reports.

Index of keywords

Webmaster: Anette Haas

Facebook Twitter Youtube-Kanal Instagram Blog Contact